Did you know that only 35.7% of people say they feel safe getting public transport at night and over 82.6% feel safe getting transport during the day?*
As more and more people use the railway network, we are working hard to ensure we have a public transport system where community members are safe and feel safe and that’s where Protective Services Officers come in.
Protective Services Officers will make a difference and make people feel safer using public transport. Protective Services Officers will be based on the Victorian railway network and will be deployed to support the community and make Victorian railways safer for all users.
PSOs will be focused on addressing incidents of anti-social behaviour, alcohol and drug related offences, weapon offences, property damage and crimes against the person.
Victoria Police is committed to responding to public safety across the railway network.
Other areas of deployment of Protective Services Officers may include:
- Magistrates Court
- Supreme Court
- Children’s Court
- Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Southern Cross Building (Department of Justice)
- Parliament House Victoria
- Shrine of Remembrance
- Victoria Police Centre
- Victoria Police St Kilda Road Complex
* National Survey of community satisfaction with policing, April - June 2011 (Quarter 4).