What can you achieve as a member of Victoria's police force?
In local communities right across Victoria, from the heart of Melbourne to the most remote country towns, the men and women of Victoria Police are there 'on the ground' doing the work they love, doing their duty with passion and pride.
Highly rewarding, community focused and challenging, a career in policing gives you the chance to make a difference every day of your working life.
Quite simply, the people of Victoria will rely on you to help preserve the peace, protect life and property, prevent crime, detect and apprehend offenders, and help those in need of assistance.
You will carry out a range of duties that are diverse, stimulating and sometimes challenging. It's a career where you should always be prepared for the unexpected.
It's a big job with big responsibilities and that's what makes it so rewarding.
Here's a little of what you can expect
- Investigate and respond to reports of crime
- Policing a crowd of 40,000 at the MCG
- Help reduce the incidence of road trauma and investigate road traffic collisions.
- Prosecute offenders and bring justice to victims and their families
- Give evidence before the courts.
- Searching for missing persons, escapees and absconders.
- Mediating domestic disputes, such as those between family members, friends and neighbours.
- Supervising prisoners and people in custody.
- Providing advice and direction to the public on a variety of subjects.
- Advise business owners, senior Victorians and young people how to better protect themselves against crime.
- Keeping the peace at demonstrations and sporting events.
- Assisting in emergencies like fires, floods, explosions and other disasters.